What is Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Intel Rapid Storage Technology is a feature found in some of Intel’s processors that allow for faster access to data stored on hard drives.
This technology can make it quicker to open files, save files, and access photos and videos. For common tasks like picture editing, movie loading, and office productivity, Intel Rapid Storage Technology now supports next-generation PCIe storage devices with transfer speeds up to 1 GB/s.
History of Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Till 2010, Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) was known as Matrix RAID. Just like other RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks), Intel RAID consists of two or more Physical Hard Disks, with an operating system that treats them as a single disk and operates according to need.
The reason behind this great rapid technology of storage is due to the use of multiple drives which uses configuration like RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10. These are reliable and provide additional protection from hard drive failures by mirroring all data among two or more multiple drives.
These RAID level consist of both Striping, Mirroring, Striping with parity and Striping and Mirroring, Technology. It also consumes low power and thus extends the battery life. It can also be configured with SSD (Solid State Drives), to help in the recovery of the data, so the backup can also be secured with this Technology.
In simple words, Intel RST provides quicker access to digital images, videos and data on either single-drive or multi-drive systems.
Features of Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Some important features that are useful as compared to others are:
- Intel Rapid RAID: Data is distributed across two or more disks that provide data redundancy. This technology helps to create multiple volumes on multiple platforms.
- Intel Matrix RAID Technology: The two RAID independent volumes are created on a single array, which is very useful and depending upon volume size, it can be two to six SATA Disks.
- Disk Capacity: This Disk Capacity can available for more than 2TB.
- Intel Rapid Recover Technology: Data is copied from a master disk to a designated destination drive or recovery disk, which provides full data redundancy.
The Intel Rapid Technology consists of AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), which allows the storage drivers to enable advanced SATA features such as Native Hot Plug and Native Command Queuing on disc connected to the computer. The main features of this technology are:
- Native Command Queuing
- Password-protected Disks
- Disk Capacity higher than two terabytes
- Hot Plug