Silence Notifications in WhatsApp – Notifications seem great at first, but they usually only end up constantly pulling you away from what you’re doing. Nowhere is this more common than with group chats. The more users you have in a group, the more often your phone goes off with another message that you really don’t need to open right away.
Thankfully, you have control over these. Let’s see how you can shut up WhatsApp and Telegram notifications and regain peace.
How to Silence Notifications in WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp and head to Settings > Notifications.
- You can uncheck the Conversation tones box to silence all message sounds. However, this is likely too drastic of a step for most people.
- Under the Message notifications and Group notifications headers, you’ll see separate entries for the notification tone, vibration, and popup notification options.
- If you want to mute group chats but keep notifications for one-on-one messages, tap Notification tone under Group notifications and set None as the sound. This will still show notifications for new messages, but won’t make a sound.
- To temporarily mute one chat instead, open the chat and tap the three-dot menu button in the upper-right. Select Mute notifications, and you can silence them for 8 hours, a week, or a year. You can also choose to show the notifications while keeping them muted.
How to Silence Notifications in Telegram
- Open Telegram, slide out the left menu and go to Settings > Notifications and Sounds.
- Here, you’ll find similar separate sections for Message notifications and Group notifications.
- You can disable the notification altogether by disabling the Alert slider. Tap Sound and change it to None to silence notifications for group chats instead.
- To mute notifications for a particular chat, tap the three-dot Menu button in the chat and choose Mute notifications. Select to mute them for an hour, 8 hours, 2 days, or until you decide otherwise.
How to Silence Group Notifications?
For a defined amount of time, you may silence group alerts. You will continue to receive group messages, but your phone will not vibrate or make a sound when they are received.
- Open the WhatsApp group conversation and then touch the topic of the group.
- Alternatively, touch and hold the CHATS tab’s group. Then, in the top-right corner, hit the Mute notifications symbol.
- To disable alerts, tap Mute.
- Select the duration of the silence period.
- Additionally, you may uncheck Show notifications to prevent alerts from appearing on your notifications screen.
- Select OK.
Unmute WhatsApp group notification
- Open the WhatsApp group conversation and then touch on the topic of the group.
- Unmute alerts by tapping.
- Alternatively, touch and hold the CHATS tab’s group. Then, in the top-right corner, hit the Unmute notifications button.
What is Notification in WhatsApp/Telegram?
A notification is a message that Android shows outside of your app’s user interface to tell the user of upcoming events, communication from other people, or other timely information from your app. The notice may be tapped to launch your app or to perform an action right from the notification.
Notifications show in a variety of places and formats for users, including an icon in the status bar, a more detailed entry in the notification drawer, a badge on the app’s icon, and automatically on linked wearables. When you send a notice, it first shows as a status bar icon. Swiping down on the status bar opens the notification drawer, where users may examine further information and take action on the notice.
Users may pull down on a notification in the drawer to see the expanded view, which includes any extra information or action buttons. Until the programme or the user dismisses a notice, it stays displayed in the notification drawer.