You have effectively launched your service site. It’s running well, but after a few months, you need to update some necessary changes to your website as per the developing need of business. To get the benefit, you require to revamp your website. Redesigning a site is the requirement of the time to get adhered to the modifying market algorithms. No user wishes to browse entirely an out-of-date site. Concerning SEO, an antiquated website has a weak search result look and minor traffic. Once your site gets redesigned according to the ongoing web trends, it reveals an enormous increase in traffic. This is not the case that always fits very same for all the sites. Some websites have actually been seen losing web traffic immediately after the redesigning, and it is a reality.
A minor loss of traffic is unavoidable for a few days after a redesign. To bring the new variation of your site to the users, Google takes a little time in crawling and indexing the revamped websites. This leads to a momentary decrease in organic traffic. At this moment, you need to worry just if the drop is more than 10% and the traffic is decreasing significantly. Then, you need to check the below mentioned 3 components to comprehend the concern.
Getting an Insight of the traffic drops after a website redesign-
1. Redirects: To check the redirects status, you just need to login to Google’s Search Console, then go to Crawl > Crawl Errors and select the ‘Not Found’ tab. In this section, you would be able to find the pages without redirects. If you have not set up the proper redirects, then it would result in the drastic traffic loss.
2. Site Structure: If you have redesigned your website then, you need to create a new sitemap. The sitemap of a website plays a critical role in indexing all the important pages of your website by Google. The internal site structure also needs to be properly linked with all the pages otherwise these result in sudden traffic loss.
3. Keyword Relevancy: The redesign of the website needs to define the relevant search result of users. It becomes possible only if your web pages contain the relevant keywords of your business or service. Page optimisation plays a crucial role in letting your website appear in search results.
A proper SEO strategy during redesign is the key to avoid traffic drops
Now, after considering the responsible elements of the traffic drops, we would be talking about the methods to avoid it to the optimum extent. Hitherto your website structure, web contents and URLs are correctly reorganized, the traffic concerning your website will be lower than normal. There is an essential service of these barriers. Taking care of the SEO structure of website while revamping the websites is the key service to prevent the traffic drops.
Utilizing the below-mentioned steps simultaneously while redesigning, will bring a positive traffic instead of the slowdown –
1. Getting adhered to the SEO strategy
The redesign team must adopt a well-proven SEO strategy by getting in touch with an SEO expert. He will guide you to redesign the website as per the SEO trends. You will be able to implement the ideas that can result in improved traffic.
2. Backing up existing site
Taking a backup of the whole website is the best job while considering any change on your website. It can help you in implementing all the valuable information to the redesigned version. If you possess all subfolders and the relevant page titles, you would be able to redesign accordingly, and it will also help you in fixing the issue if found any.
3. Set up 301 redirects
As we have discussed it earlier, improper redirect results in traffic loss. Each URL of your website must be checked before relaunching your website. If you have removed an URL, then you should set up a 301 redirect, as this tells the crawlers that the page has been permanently moved.
4. Create a new sitemap
Prior to relaunching the redesigned website, the new sitemap needs to be noted to let the search engines much better comprehend your site. Doing this at the time of relaunching assists in preserving the traffic, and if the loss happens, then it gets improved within a couple of days.
5. Make sure your analytics tracking code is in place
Just before making your redesigned website live, you must ensure that the analytics tracking code is in place otherwise you will have a sudden dilemma of losing all the traffic. Only you need to merely implement the code in the header or footer section to monitor the traffic.