Despite the fact that Microsoft Word is a commonly used word processor, many individuals still do not make use of this programme. Not everyone is a fan of the written word, whether it’s due to cost, accessibility, or personal preference. For those who find themselves in this situation, you may want to explore utilising an alternative office suite, such as LibreOffice or Google Docs. However, if you know where to look, there are a plethora of other great and completely free options to consider as well. The following are some creative alternatives to Microsoft Word that you may not have been aware of until now:
Jarte features a sleek and clean interface that makes it easy to work with your documents. You may create several documents in one window using the tabs at the top. You also have choices to modify the programme for button labels, automated identification of links, and word wrapping.
- Edit with basic tools like copy, paste, find, and spell check as well as a dictionary and thesaurus.
- Insert images, hyperlinks, tables, equations, and objects.
- Format fonts with bold, italic, underline, colour, size, and style.
- Adjust paragraphs using alignment, indent, line spacing, and tab stops.
- And more: Multiple views, counts for words, pages, and characters, zoom in or out, and a built-in screen capture feature.
You can download and use Jarte for free. If you are interested in bonus features such as custom keyboard shortcuts, scripting, and autocorrect, you can take a look at Jarte Plus.
AbleWord is a similar-looking software to Microsoft Word. At the top, you’ll find a standard menu with tools like File, Edit, and View, quick button actions for undo, redo, and spell check immediately below, and the font formatting bar right below that.
- Save documents as DOC, DOCX, PDF, HTML, or TXT.
- Insert images, text frames, tables, and page numbers.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, styles, columns, bullets, and numbering.
- Use tables by inserting, selecting, or deleting along with merging and splitting cells.
- And more: PDF file importing, print or draft layout views, word count, zoom in or out, and page layout options.
AbleWord is available for download at no charge with full functionality. And if you need assistance getting started, simply click the Help icon from the toolbar or visit AbleWord Online Help.
SSuite Office contains a range of productivity applications such as word processors, spreadsheets, and editors. WordGraph is one such programme that is a great alternative to Microsoft Word. As with AbleWord, you start with a regular menu at the top, followed by action buttons and a formatting toolbar. Each new document is kept within its own tab.
- Select views from full width, centred outline, or full height along with thumbnail views along the side.
- Insert objects, images, tables, links, emoticons, equations, automatic text, and character art.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, and visual text effects.
- Use tools for spell check, word count, track changes, and online dictionaries, thesauruses, and translations.
- And more: Tiled windows, document exporting, history, and statistics, keyboard shortcuts, and cloud storage integration.
You can download WordGraph for free. You might also check out the helpful online tutorials if you have any specific questions.
FocusWriter is ideal for writers seeking a distraction-free atmosphere. When you initially open FocusWriter, the document area is displayed on a wooden background. As a consequence, you may begin writing immediately. However, when the mouse is positioned towards the top of the window, the software offers the functionality anticipated of a word processor.
- Edit with basic undo, redo, cut, copy, and paste features.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, indents, and headings.
- Use tools to find, replace, spell check, and symbols.
- Adjust settings for focused text, themes, and focus preferences.
- And more: Hideaway tools on all four edges, focus timer, daily progress statistics, goal setting, toolbar customisations, and keyboard shortcuts.
FocusWriter is free and available on multiple platforms. If you like the features of word processors but prefer a focused writing tool, then this is the application for you.
5. Page Four
While designed for creative writers, Page Four is a great word processor for master organisers as well. This is owing to its Notebook function, which offers an organised hierarchy for your things. So, you can create new notebooks, add folders and subfolders, and insert pages simply.
- Navigate to each page with tabs at the bottom of the window.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, and lists.
- Use tools to import or export notebooks, word count, and document locking via password.
- Click Smart-Edit to scan your document for overused words and phrases.
- Search for text on pages or in notebooks.
- And more: Customizable view for full-screen writing, snapshot feature with list display, ability to insert dates, characters, links, or email addresses.
Page Four comes from Bad Wolf Software and is available at no charge. Just note, the application will not receive future enhancements. But if you like the idea of a free tool that keeps your work organised well, take it for a spin.
Download: Page Four
6. Shaxpir 4
Shaxpir 4 (pronounced like Shakespeare) is another word processor that is excellent for creative authors. But don’t let that stop you from trying it for papers, essays, and even for brainstorming for ideas. You may arrange your papers by kind like novels, short tales, or articles, all inside a beautiful, simple interface.
- Navigate to content using the sidebar.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, styles, and lists.
- Insert images, connections, and block quotes.
- Export items as DOCX or HTML.
- Plus: Version history (paid), word count, spell check, colour-coded display for sentiment, vividness, and spelling, and content creation by type and folder.
Shaxpir 4 is available at no charge and comes with a free trial for Shaxpir 4: Pro. Should you decide to subscribe to the upgrade, you will receive features like EPUB exporting, custom themes, and version history. However, you can continue with the free version if you prefer.
Download: Shaxpir 4
LyX is a full-featured word processor with tons of extras. You might be surprised at the number of buttons you see beneath the menu when you open Lyx, but the screen tips as you mouse over the buttons help. Select File > New, and you are on your way. You can also work with multiple documents with the handy tabbed view.
- Format fonts, lists, paragraphs, and sections.
- View outline, source, and message panes within the window.
- Insert everything from images, links, and tables to math formulas, citations, and comments.
- Use tools for spell check, thesaurus, statistics, and file comparisons.
- And more: Import and export with dozens of file types, math macros, margin notes and footnotes, labels, cross-references, and index entries.
LyX is free and open-source, and available across multiple platforms. The website offers a lot of helpful information regarding releases, bug tracking, and development statuses.
8. Thinkfree Online Editor
If you would rather not download a word processor, Thinkfree Online Editor is an excellent option. To begin, either click the New Document plus sign on the main page or select Word from the New Document dropdown box at the top. When the editor opens, you will see your standard menu items and buttons.
- Download documents as DOCX or PDF files.
- Format fonts and paragraphs.
- Add headers, footers, endnotes, page numbers, or page breaks.
- Insert shapes, images, tables, text boxes, symbols, bookmarks, or links.
- And more: Selection tools, ruler, and task pane views zoom in or out, page setup options like size, orientation, colour, and margins.
Thinkfree also offers spreadsheet and presentation document creations online for free. If you enjoy the product and are interested in the desktop office suite offerings, you might review those options too.
Website: Thinkfree Online Editor
Another excellent online editing tool is Hemingway. You may click Write from the top to start and then Edit to get helpful tools. While this editor does not provide special capabilities for pictures, tables, or downloads like others, it does give you a decent writing experience.
- Format fonts with bold or italic.
- Add headers that are H1, H2, or H3.
- Create quotes with a click.
- Insert links and lists with bullets or numbers
- And more: Readability tools, colour-coded display for active voice, adverbs, and hard-to-read sentences, and counts for words, characters, letters, and more.
Hemingway is one of the simplest yet useful free online writing tools. In addition, to access the internet, you can check out the Hemingway Editor 3 desktop app with plenty of awesome features.
One final alternative to Microsoft Word that is available for free online is Draft. This very simple tool has the features you need to create, edit, and save your documents. Like Hemingway, you can write directly on the screen (once you create a free account). One of its standout features is version control.
- Format fonts with bold or italic.
- Insert comments, to-dos, images, snippets, and footnotes.
- Export documents as TXT, HTML, DOC, or PDF.
- Share for help with your documents from coworkers or fellow students.
- And more: Create folders for organisation, preview and Hemingway modes, import files, and customise interface settings.
The draft is a basic but useful and easy tool for your writing needs. From business to personal to educational, create the documents you need on any computer with internet access.
The Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
Whether it’s cost, access, or features, many word processors can give you what you need if you want to veer from Microsoft Word. So, pick the right one for you and get writing!